Sunday, October 23, 2005

Geeks, Nerds and all

Well, I wish I had a photo to prove what happened last nite!

Yes, a fellow student from School of Missions (Jamie) phoned me up yesterday and invited me to one of his friends birthday party surprise thing and mentioned that when he came to pick me up, not to freak out cause of his clothes... I laughed and waited to see what he meant!

So, as you can imagne, I was excited and nervous at the same time. It is the first time, I've been out since I've returned from Pemba and also been with a group of guys. So, I spent about 3 hours getting ready. My sister straightend my hair, and I changed like a million times and I did a decent job on my make-up. Needless to say my little brother was impressed!

After helping my Mum make dina and then I smelt like meatballs instead of my perfume, the doorbell rung. My heart skipt a beat and my stomach turned. Now, the excitement had left and the nerves set in. I heard my little bro laugh.... So Jamie had arrived. Ok, this is the moment when you wish you had a birthday present like a cam-cord or that you hadnt let your sister borrow you camera! Jamie was stunning! In true fashion - a geek. Now, I know this dont sound too nice, but if you could of seen him and his mates! Girls - it was funny. So, Jamie was themed to red - working for KFC. Then Simon was themed blue - working with computers and then there was Pat who was themed to green - working for subway and packnsave!

So we had the fat red bus, filled with the geeks, the birthday girl, me and the guys & gals from the youth group. We went into town and literally painted it red! We parked the fat red bus about 20 min from the resturant so we could walk thru town, to see peoples reaction.... oh, boy, that was fun.... just as was walking thru the macDs drive thru! We at dina at the rouge - that was interesting, but more interesting was the washroom situation! Ok, it was flash, not like the latrines in Pemba. It was a smoked glass door - you think is well, see-thru (its not really), so you feel totally uncomfortable sitting on the loo.

After our yummy meal went went for another walk and then a drive thru town! We got pulled over by the cops, that was mm....well, their faces were priceless! We got off with a warning and thus decided to call it an evening and in true geekstyle fashion drive home with our windows and loud pumping music!

Over all - I had a blast. But realised that my heart belongs in Mozambique for the next season of my life. I do enjoy the simple life.......

1 comment:

Don said...

Hey Ann,
Just found your blog and am so blessed to see you were in Mozambique! I just returned from the Global Awakenings (Randy Clark) conference in PA, at which Heidi & Rolland ministered. Heidi spent much time just worshiping Jesus ("I guess that's point number one," she laughed as she got up off her knees, after leading us all in worship for 20 minutes), describing to us her near-death experience with a bacterial infection, her miraculous healing in Toronto 3 weeks ago, and how she's learned that spending more time "snorkeling" with Jesus in the secret place is God's solution to her every need. So encouraging and amazing!!